Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#31)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.28.2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce750i View Post
I wonder what section of the RCM store it will be in? Gears/Tranny?, New stuff?
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...Mslipperential

Old
  (#32)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.28.2009, 07:57 PM

Dang that is alot of parts Mike!!! I can see why it took a while to get it designed, looks great. May have to score one for the hyper8. Any chance you will make plastic spurs for it?

Old
  (#33)
phatmonk
RC carbon junkie

03.28.2009, 08:43 PM

Does it come assembled?

SC8-E RCM MMM CC 1717
Slash 4x4 MMP CC SC 2400
SC RC8BE MMP Neu Tekno 1512/2D
Mugen MBX6 Eco MMP Neu Tekno 1515/1.5D

Old
  (#34)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.28.2009, 08:45 PM

We tried several versions, including at least 3 designs with a plastic spur - they couldn't take the heat long term. They held up fine for a 5 or 6 minute run, but with a lot of slip dialed in, the heat softened the plastic and it became fairly easy to strip. A plastic spur would likely work for most, but we tested in extreme slip conditions to ensure durability and reliability. We wanted it to be as user friendly and problem free as possible when released.

Old
  (#35)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.28.2009, 08:53 PM

Assembly and installation required. :)

Old
  (#36)
BP-Revo
BMW M Power!

03.28.2009, 08:58 PM

Sweet!

I'm trying to find an excuse to buy one right now lol! I currently don't run a vehicle with a full sized center diff so I can't really justify buying one but I'm "this" close from buying one just to have it sit on my shelf so I can marvel at it and eventually put it in something!

BL Revo: CF G2R, LMT1940/7, 6S FP 30C Lipos, MMM, Hitec 5955TG
CRT .5: 7075 Ext Chassis, LMT1930/7, FP 25C 3S Lipos, MM

Old
  (#37)
George16
Supermaxx

03.28.2009, 09:26 PM

Let's see if I can wait until the 48 and 50T spur become available .

Castle Neu 1520 on 6S LiPo Powered Gmaxx (Nitro Killer)
Predator with OS .21TM
Supermaxx with Mach .26
Revo with OS .18TZ
Kyosho ST-RR Conversion
Ofna CR with Tekin ESC/Motor (2)

Old
  (#38)
brushlessboy16
Im not dark, Im over ripened! xD

03.28.2009, 09:37 PM

Ever consider a gear unit like the RRP Double disk, metal slipper pad with a plastic spur bolted to it?

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Jq the car, LST, Sportweks turmoil pro
Unconventional Techniques, Superior Results
  Send a message via Yahoo to brushlessboy16 Send a message via AIM to brushlessboy16 Send a message via MSN to brushlessboy16 Send a message via Skype™ to brushlessboy16 
Old
  (#39)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.28.2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessboy16 View Post
Ever consider a gear unit like the RRP Double disk, metal slipper pad with a plastic spur bolted to it?
Yes, we considered it - unfortunately, there is no room. We tried several ways to use a plastic spur in fact (the design started with a plastic spur). Our hardened pinions can withstand the abuse and run pretty quiet on the steel spur used. Would plastic work with the current design? - most likely, but a loose setting may cause failure. We had success with plastic spurs, but we had a heatsinking mount built into the spur, which added space and cost. The Steel spur is rugged, long lasting, and much simpler to work with.

Old
  (#40)
gixxer
RC-Monster Titanium

03.28.2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP-Revo View Post
Sweet!

I'm trying to find an excuse to buy one right now lol! I currently don't run a vehicle with a full sized center diff so I can't really justify buying one but I'm "this" close from buying one just to have it sit on my shelf so I can marvel at it and eventually put it in something!
I am in the same boat. No 8th scale right now so kinda hard to justify buying it,but I know I will end up with one sooner or later.

Kyosho SC, tekin rs, D3 17.5
Hyper 9e, mmp,tekin 1900kv
Associated sc10 4x4, novak 4.5

Old
  (#41)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

03.28.2009, 11:40 PM

I just ordered my Slipperential It will go in my Savage, and will be abused quite a bit! We'll see if Mike's hard word paid off

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Old
  (#42)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

03.28.2009, 11:56 PM

Haha me too! My GTP will be the guinea pig...

Hey Mike- Any chance of a bevel gear version? You know, for a triple-slipperential setup?

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#43)
jhautz
RC-Monster Mod

03.29.2009, 12:46 AM

OK... So mini review time. I put the slipperential in my truggy and went out to the local track this morning for some practice time and to see how this thing worked and how it effected the way the truggy drove.

I started off with the standard recommended setting of about 1.25mm gap between the plates on the slipper assembly. First lap with it and it was a noticeable difference. It made the very bottom end on take off from a stop or low speeds feel noticeably softer. I drove for the better part of a pack just trying to get a feel for how it reacted to hard launch conditions and the parts of the track that typically I used a quick snap of the throttle to clear a set of doubles and the hard acceleration out of the tight corners. It took a little getting used to at first, but after making an adjustment to my driving I got more comfortable with the feel.

I then pulled the truck off and did a quick temp test with my finger on the slipper assembly to see if was getting hot. It was for sure warm to the touch, but not as hot as the motor. (didn't have my temp gun in my pocket for that first run) But for sure didn't see any heat that concerned me.

After that first pack I started making adjustments loosening the slipper so it slipped more, and then adjusted it so it slipped more again until I had dialed so much slip into it and lost so much acceleration that I no longer could clear the triple on the back straight. It is a long triple. The nitros pretty much needed to land the small double right before it perfectly to set themselves up and get enough run up to clear it. Before dialing in all the slip I was actually easily able to overjump it with to hard of a throttle snap.

I figured that was about as loose as I could ever see anyone practically running it. I ran an entire pack thru it at this very loose setting trying to get a feel for it at this high slip setting. I also wanted to see how the clutch handled the high slip and what kind of heat would build up. After the pack (14-15 minutes) I quickly temped the slipper assembly and got a high reading of 116 degrees(F). Much cooler than I expected to see with running that much slip.

Next I started dialing back to the tight side with very little to no slip that I could detect. It basically felt just like it did with my normal diff. Tightening it down hard like that basically gave it no detectable slip at all I assume though that under a really hard hit like landing a jump with all 4 tires at the same time under throttle it would give just a bit and absorb some of the shock the motor would normally take.

Finally I spent a little time dialing it in to where it felt good to me. What I found that I liked might be a little more slip than what some others might want, but what I found it did for me was let me be more aggressive on the corner exits. With out the slipper I would have to carefully roll into the throttle coming out of the corner or risk having the back end break loose and step out on me. With the slipper set with just a bit of slip that corner exit became much less touchy. I did sacrifice a bit of the instant snap that would let you pretty much clear any jump on the track with no run up, but once I got the slip set where I liked it it seemed to be a good balance.

Thats about all I got to do with it today. A good little first try with it. So far I like it. Seems to be a solid unit that does just what its supposed to do. Looking forward to getting it on the track in a race condition so I can see if it actually helps with lap times. It seems like it will be a nice little tuning option. I can see it being very useful on the days where traction is low and having the smoothed out power curve on the bottom end will help keep everything in check.

So far so good Mike. Nice job.

(Crazy Side Note) After I got done playing with the slipperential in the truggy I took my buggy out for a few practice laps and wouldn't you know it... I broke the rotor loose from the motor shaft on my Neu. Probably just one to many drivetrain shocks. Gonna have to get it repaired now and then get a slipperential for the buggy too so I don't do that again. Talk about timing. I don't think Mike could have scripted that any better. LOL

I can't decide if its more fun
to make it...
or break it...

Silent...But Deadly

Last edited by jhautz; 03.29.2009 at 12:49 AM.

Old
  (#44)
starscream
RC-Monster TQ

03.29.2009, 04:52 AM

I just bought a slipperential tonight.
I've got first place in the last two 8th scale races with my MBX5 (Ol' Faithful)
Hopefully the slipper will help smooth things out for that little extra advantage

Hey Mike,
Any word on optional spur sizes? 48/50/52?
I could use a little bigger spur for the RC8T

Thanks!

Ha Ha
The Flashlight Strikes Again...

Old
  (#45)
starscream
RC-Monster TQ

03.29.2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up.

You just saved me $130USD.
I actually didn't see anything getting cleared up.

Did you read the product details for the item?

The details page states:
"The unit is a "drop in" upgrade for Mugen, Losi, AE, XRay and similarly sized diff compartments on buggies and truggies. The aforementioned diffs are among the smallest on the market today, so the Slipperential can be shimmed into larger openings on many other vehicles."

Hopefully that clears things a bit

Ha Ha
The Flashlight Strikes Again...