RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Slipperential discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Help me with a slipperential & mount for my savage please.
Old
  (#1)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

Help me with a slipperential & mount for my savage please. - 05.26.2010, 04:15 PM

Ok... Hi everyone

I have a savage flux.. Here is my build with some pics and vids
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26750

Anyway i have been having serious tranny issues with gears stripping etc... I feel the tranny is the weak point in the savage drive train. If i can eliminate these gears, not only will i save weight but less can go wrong regarding gears.

This is where the slipperential comes into play... i obviously know where to get one from so i am not worried about that... but mounting is another thing.

I have seen some people make mounts for their savages but i am not capable of that as i do not have the machinery...

So i am going to have to work out a way of using existing parts and making them work with my savage.

The first thing i am looking for is a slipperential/motor mount... I found a few which look very nice but i am not sure if they are being produced, home built or what ever really.....

This one below is my favourite and i would love to get my hands on this... I believe mike makes them? but i am not entirely sure... but whoever does is an artist

There is a pic below (terrible i know ) of where i would fit this mount.
I was thinking of running 3 support braces between the TVPs(twin vertical plates) along the bottom, centre of the chassis.
I can then bolt the centre diff mounting plate to the braces (points in red) using the exiting holes in the mounting plate and have it facing the way shown (Motor in green).

This should work quite well dont you think? i would have to get new drive shafts made up, but i dont think that would be a problem...

Now i am curious to know whether i will still be able to utilise some form of mechanical braking as i dont like motor brakes???? How do truggys use mechanical brakes when using brushless motors? Could someone enlighten me here...

Also just to inform people... i am using the neu1520 motor... it is quite heavy but i am mostly worried that in a crash, that the motor will rip off from this style of mount? Has anyone experienced this before? Or should it be strong enough?

Thank you very much in advance...

I have never worked with diffs or slipperentials as savages have rubbish transmissions.... so your help and knowledge on what you think would work best would be very appreciated.

Josh

Old
  (#2)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

05.26.2010, 07:22 PM

Well I know that the "Universal Center Diff Mount" that is in the RCM store does not allow the use of the Slipperential.

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Old
  (#3)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.26.2010, 07:44 PM

oh really? so what diff would you recommend as the "strongest" most reliable diff to be used with this particular mount...

And could you recommend anyother mounts that would work with the slipperential?

Thank you for the heads up

Old
  (#4)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

05.26.2010, 07:50 PM

On the contrary, the universal CD mount is in fact compatible with the 46t and 58t mod.8 Slipperential diff. :)

Old
  (#5)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.26.2010, 09:04 PM

Thanks for chiming in mike...
Are you going to be getting the universal mount back in any time soon???
Also i am trying to use this speed calculator, and i am wondering if my results below look correct?

Differential Ratio: 3.2222222222222223
Transmission Ratio: 1
Other Ratio: 1
Spur Tooth Count: 58 (58t mod.8 Slipperential diff.)
Pinion Tooth Count: 14
Total Voltage: 22.2
Motor KV: 1600 - Neu 1520
Tire Diameter (inches): 5.5
Tire Ballooning (inches): 0.5
Motor Current Draw: 0
Motor Coil Resistance: 0
Spur/Pinion Ratio: 4.14 : 1
Total Ratio: 13.34921 : 1
Tire Circumference (inches): 20.42 inches (518.68 mm)
Rollout: 1.53:1
Total Motor Speed: 35520 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 51.45 mph (82.65 km/h)
Effective KV Value: 1600

I am currently geared for 53mph with my savage tranny, and i am running 110degrees on motor and esc, 90-100 on the lipos. I am hoping to run 9s eventually just for road runs.

Anyway back to the main topic & bottom line is that the slipperential does work with the universal mount.

My question, does the universal mount come with the base plate shown in the picture above? It would make it much easier for me to mount the diff if i have that plate to bolt to the braces.

Mike, do you know anyone who has tested your slipperntial on 9s+ set-ups? and how i dont mean to be rude, but how confident are you about your mounting securing the motor to it? I personally believe that the motor would strip away from the mount on a hard landing considering the weight of the 1520?

Thanks

Old
  (#6)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.26.2010, 11:08 PM

Great thread, this is exactly what I am thinking about doing with my Savage. I'm using the FLM Savage Flux XL tvp's on mine. Nice wheels Jay, I think using the universal CD mount and slipperential would be perfect for this truck.

So Mike, how about a universal CD mount and mount plate made to fit the Savage tranny mount holes already in the tvp's? That would be perfect, consider it sold, along with a slipperential.

Last edited by FG101C; 05.26.2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added info.

Old
  (#7)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

05.27.2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Monster Mike View Post
On the contrary, the universal CD mount is in fact compatible with the 46t and 58t mod.8 Slipperential diff. :)
I see, I was referring to this thread, but didn't read far enough past the first post: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25940

So it will work, but the mount will need some modding of the top plate.

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Last edited by simplechamp; 05.27.2010 at 12:20 AM.

Old
  (#8)
brushlessboy16
Im not dark, Im over ripened! xD

05.27.2010, 07:31 AM

ahem...

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Jq the car, LST, Sportweks turmoil pro
Unconventional Techniques, Superior Results
  Send a message via Yahoo to brushlessboy16 Send a message via AIM to brushlessboy16 Send a message via MSN to brushlessboy16 Send a message via Skype™ to brushlessboy16 
Old
  (#9)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.27.2010, 07:39 AM

oooooooweeeeeee brushless boy... what is that you are mocking up? Looks pretty good... Uses the standard mounting points... And it looks very robust too!!!

Just one little thing... According to your drawings, if i am correct regarding the motor... You have to fit the motor first then fit the pinion? as the pinion cant fit through the hole already fitted to the motor shaft? Or am i looking at it wrong?

Old
  (#10)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.27.2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I see, I was referring to this thread, but didn't read far enough past the first post: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25940

So it will work, but the mount will need some modding of the top plate.
Looks like it will fit with the appropriate shimming, which shouldnt be too much of a problem... But maybe mike will take this into account when machining the next batch of mounts?

Mike please chime in, as i think quite a few of us savage owners would definitely throw out stock trannys away as they are a huge weak point in our drive train, and if this idea was more easy to implement, im sure everyone would do it (people with fluxs do get bored of the wheelies)

Thanks a lot

Old
  (#11)
brushlessboy16

05.27.2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahay View Post
oooooooweeeeeee brushless boy... what is that you are mocking up? Looks pretty good... Uses the standard mounting points... And it looks very robust too!!!

Just one little thing... According to your drawings, if i am correct regarding the motor... You have to fit the motor first then fit the pinion? as the pinion cant fit through the hole already fitted to the motor shaft? Or am i looking at it wrong?
Thanks, another member here asked for the same thing.. Slipperential mount for a savage.

You have to put the pinion on after the motor, its an easy thing to do, or i could tweak the design so you dont have to shoot me a pm if your interested

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
  Send a message via Yahoo to brushlessboy16 Send a message via AIM to brushlessboy16 Send a message via MSN to brushlessboy16 Send a message via Skype™ to brushlessboy16 
Old
  (#12)
bruce750i
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.27.2010, 07:53 AM

Looks nice Bb16.

Old
  (#13)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.27.2010, 08:09 AM

you have pm bb16...

Anyway back to this in regards to the mechanical brakes...
Lots of truggys use centre diffs, but how would they utilise mechanical brakes?

Old
  (#14)
brushlessboy16

05.27.2010, 08:37 AM

I dont see the point to making the pinion slip through the motor mount, its a single set screw< 2.0mm driver, and it takes less than a second to do. Plus You would need a huge hole to fit anything over like a 13t pinion

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Old
  (#15)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.27.2010, 08:47 AM

i guess there is easy enough access directly from above...

So can i expect to receive one next week :) haha jk

But on a serious note... when are you thinking about making some mock ups?