Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > T/E Maxx Parts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Not your average Emaxx build
Old
  (#1)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

Arrow Not your average Emaxx build - 04.22.2016, 10:51 AM

Hello to everyone here Old to Rc & new to the forums & iv finally decided to document one of my projects with pics since i always forget till after with rc,house,car,ect Although this is a build thread i welcome any post or pics of unique or uncommon builds & mods for the emaxx old or new.Iv started with a teaser of the processes so far but i have left out some goodies for later so if your interested in seeing the progress OR helping out along the way please join in.I already have a few ?'s & im sure ill gather more throughout the process. Oh by the way i have a good bit of small part machining skills & equipment due to my personal business but less so with aluminium & larger parts so its a bit of a learning processes.Again ANY design input or other interesting mods/builds are always welcome.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160315_112531[1].jpg
Views:	894
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	10888   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160323_204212[1].jpg
Views:	882
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	10889   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160419_175329[1].jpg
Views:	887
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	10890  

Old
  (#2)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.22.2016, 10:59 PM

here's a few more up to my current stage & some parts waiting to go in that i thought might stir some interest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160420_170327[1].jpg
Views:	885
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	10891   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160420_195530[1].jpg
Views:	858
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	10892   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160411_194050[1].jpg
Views:	785
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	10893  

Old
  (#3)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.22.2016, 11:40 PM

Heck yeah! Keep the posts coming!

Emaxx 3908L, Gorillamaxx G4 with UE VBS & Widetrac, Gorillamaxx G1 with RC Monster Slipperential, Centralemaxx Ph@ntom, FLM Savage, TTR Centurion LTD, TTR Tremor, TTR Ripper Pro, GMADE Stealth

Old
  (#4)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.23.2016, 08:18 AM

Heres a mod that i did a while back that i have never seen done.I call it the double up tranny(no disrespect to rrp's slipper)Its a 3906 tranny with 2 2nd speed gearsets this photo was halfway through the conversion but to be honest i dont think it was worth the time.worked great but just a bit over engineered.I must have been planning to attach it to a small block chevy or something when i came up with that.Its funny sometimes what goes thru your mind with a shop full of tools & nothing to do
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160306_112523[1].jpg
Views:	822
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	10895  

Last edited by custompartsguy; 04.23.2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: pic did not post

Old
  (#5)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.23.2016, 08:57 AM

Thanks darksammy,Iv seen you around hear quite a bit so its nice to have a vet peeking in.I have a few ?'s for anyone that can help(well more than a few but still searching threads for the others before asking)first is,from the 4 ultralights i have 2 of them spin alot rougher than i think is normal even considering there not broke in yet,There all assembled the same & the only shims used or needed was the 4 small shims that go in the spider cross shafts.The spiders seem slightly tight/rough at times but nothing a break in wouldn't solve so my issue is with the ring & pinion mesh.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Old
  (#6)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.23.2016, 09:47 AM

What diffs are they? Are they CEN by any chance?

Emaxx 3908L, Gorillamaxx G4 with UE VBS & Widetrac, Gorillamaxx G1 with RC Monster Slipperential, Centralemaxx Ph@ntom, FLM Savage, TTR Centurion LTD, TTR Tremor, TTR Ripper Pro, GMADE Stealth

Old
  (#7)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.23.2016, 09:54 AM

Not sure really,I was under the impression when i bought them that they were the spyder6 since the guy just said they were new Ue diffs & i didnt see a pic of the internals but he may of just been referring to the cases,that or i was hoodwinked.

Old
  (#8)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.23.2016, 10:02 AM

after researching a bit they appear to be identical to the hotbodies 1/8 diffs so unless there a few knockoffs of them going around i assume its those.

Old
  (#9)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.23.2016, 10:13 AM

the odd thing is that the internals match the UE 7.5 set in color & design & also looks to be the same ring gear with the flat surface where the screws mount,the only difference is the plastic portion of the case has the grooves like the d8t diffs,but looking at pics the d8t diffs have darker spider gears & a raised X on the ring gear going from screw hole to screw hole that mine do not have

Old
  (#10)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.23.2016, 09:11 PM

All UE Spider 6 or 8 diffs are just OFNA diffs with his own cups installed, and your cups are all UE. They are excellent wearing and very good quality. That being said, the spider 6 diffs UE sold are an old design, you may just have some kind of newer version OFNA case with the same internals.

The bevel gear looks to me to be helical cut, which are renowned to feel a lot rougher than other types of gears. I cant tell from the pic all that well, but it does look like that is the case. I am told the CEN diffs which are helical cut are amazing in terms of heavy duty, so you might find they run awesome for you. So long as you shim them well, they should serve you well. :)

Keep the updates comin...

Old
  (#11)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.24.2016, 12:12 PM

Thanks,I think it may have been the rc gremlins making me take it apart & put it back together just for fun,one i started to loosen the housing then tightened it back up to check something & it was perfect,on another i was able to get a tiny squeak tighter on 3 of the ring gear screws & solved that one so i pulled them all apart again checked all the ring screws(only a few were able to budge)put them pack together & now all 4 feel better than any diffs iv ever owned.Just needed to sleep it off & wait for the gremlins to go bother someone else.As far as what brand they are Im still unsure but so far it looks like you may be right(Darksammy)It must be the ofna6 gears with a different spider housing.I have some better pics but cant find the cord for my good camera ofcorse so ill add them later in case someone recognizes them.

Old
  (#12)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.24.2016, 01:08 PM

updates will be coming soon.Im building up my sons emaxx also & hes not quite as patient getting them back together as i am so iv been doing the boring stuff(reassembly,filling shocks,ect.)just to get him running.once i finish this prototype chassi I will be doing 1 for both our trucks(if it works out,if it doesn't then Mike's vmaxx here we come) the chassi im doing now is just basic aluminium for mockup & testing to see if I want to make any weight/balance/length/thickness changes before i do 2 from 7075.This one is only 1/2 in longer then the stock newer chassi I may go longer but im trying to limit the stress on the arms during rolls as these are strictly down & dirty bashing machines that see more abuse than they ever should.I got a little shaping done to the braces yesterday but am hung up on design for weight reduction cutouts on the top plate.The goal is a mid cg high clearance chassis so instead of 1/4" top plates & 1/8 mid or lower plates like most chassies out there im using 3/16" for top & bottom to transfer even more weight down(I may go down in thickness on the mid plate as total weight is already becoming apparent.The mid battery plate will likely tie directly to both the front & rear custom thicker skids as well to create a solid lower frame(for lack of better words)I have a feeling there with be a lot of play with weight reduction & material thickness before im happy & the final result may be nothing like planned but thats half the fun so stay tuned.I may cut up the purple chassi To mount the servos but as of now the plan is to get the servo on the mid plate or between the rails on the front skid
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160424_094020[1].jpg
Views:	750
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	10896   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160424_094338[1].jpg
Views:	768
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	10897   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160420_195410[1].jpg
Views:	832
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	10898  

Old
  (#13)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.24.2016, 01:15 PM

Heres another project prototype from a long time ago i dug up a few pics on,it may not be the correct section for the truck but i assure you it is mostly emaxx
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150428_195111[1].jpg
Views:	737
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	10899   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150428_195211[1].jpg
Views:	854
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	10900   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150418_194755[1].jpg
Views:	805
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	10901  

Old
  (#14)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.25.2016, 11:52 PM

well I finally got the top plate figured out,I have a bit more cleaning up but im very happy with the outcome & weight.Now its on to the mid plate/battery tray.May need to pick up some 1/8 plate first,i planed to use 3/16 but am second guessing now after noticing the weight of the upper before i did the cutouts.

still to come:
) Mid plate/battery tray
) Motor mount to get the motor on the top plate
) 3906 tranny topshaft for gen 3 slipper with both top gears ( im not a fan of leaving the spur cover off & eliminating gears for the topshaft conversions
)& more To be continued
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160425_195334[1].jpg
Views:	918
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	10906  

Old
  (#15)
custompartsguy
RC-Monster Stock

04.26.2016, 02:52 PM

Got the camera going for better pics .

So iv been trying to identify these metal tranny gears all morning.I Got them in a trade not long ago that i initiated(from E(asilytakeyourmoney)Bay of all places & looking at pics I figured they at least appeared to all be hardened steel,Iv been looking to buy (or have made) a set from & ended up with a few sets since the other guy wanted one of my trucks i had for trade.
Anyway to the point,I started to think they were ultramaxx gen1 without the brass idlers till i noticed a magnet would not stick.so i stuck it in the lathe & sanded the side of 1 idler & a spot on the dog to be sure i was at bare metal(didnt appear to be coated it just shined up the color,darker color than aluminium & a bit of a darker & color tint compared to steel)

with my experience with steel fab i started some scratch & auto punch test & comparing to multiple types of aluminium & steel & I think i may have stumbled on some titanium gears.I cannot scrape flakes off like i could with any aluminium(including aircraft grade) The scratch tests & dimples from an auto punch seem to compare to a light surface treated steel( raw carbon steel seem just a bit softer.Weight seems a lighter than Id expect steel to be also but i dont have any raw titanium to compare any tests to.

Machining is a little up & down,the bright side is the teeth on the gears from checking in the lathe appear perfectly symmetrical to the center shafts & i feel the teeth are better cut than even rrp gen3 spurs as these are not straight cut teeth like rrp,these have smooth curved profiles to each tooth with no sharp edges on the contact areas,VERY VERY nice mesh thruout rotation.
Now the corner cutting but not to big a deal for me (considering the above)if you notice in the pics the holes/slots/pins in the idlers & dogs are well centered Except 1 dog appears to have a pin of center on 1 side(again no biggy on that one & press out both pins & bore them center then turn new steel pins to press in to make sure its balanced) the dog slots in the lower gears however are a bit poorly done,theres a bit of unmilled slag & lips on the slots opposite side of where the dog meets from something not being centered during milling(pic shows both sides of each gear for comparison) Dog post did not fit in gears until a quick pass with a needle file around the edge of the slots.
Other than that precision is nice & tight as it is hard to mate the dog to the gears without the shaft inserted to make sure there centered but engages smooth then.

Either way Id like to thank that man who made these as the most important part of any gear is the teeth & mesh & there was definitely a significant amount of attention & detail spent on the tooth profile with these which is why I think the slotting processes looks like it ended up getting rushed thru.But I can fix that so im very pleased no matter who made them.

NOT to pleased however that if it wasnt UE than its surely there design so I would really like to find out in case i end up parting with a set or 2 at some point. If i did id like to (at least try to) ensure there going to be used & abused rather than resold under false pretense.

Sorry for the book but thought it was some good info & hope to get some info back if anyone has ever seen these's before,cant dig much up on UE gen1 gears but i dont think those were titanium & even so the minor(to me) milling issues give me a good idea its not UE that made these unless they were a early prototype or such.So Who did full real titanium 2spd gear sets????I dont think they were produced to recently as there is/was quite a bit of aged buildup & dust that has gathered in the slots & grooves that are away from regular contact.

If you have any info please post,Thanks (Im now looking for a publisher
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCI0037.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	10910   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0038.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	10911   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0040.jpg