MGM or MMM?
Old
  (#1)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

MGM or MMM? - 01.27.2009, 05:05 PM

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...60253sE&cat=21

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...steresc&cat=21

I need an ESC for my onroad Hyper 7 and I'm trying to decide on which ESC. I like the MMM, but I also like the LVC on the MGM. I know a guy who ran lipos capable of ~50 amps in a Rustler with an MGM, then the same person put a MM in the Rustler and it puffed the lipo. I will be using either the old Zippy-H packs or the new Flightmax packs so they will be able to put out the necessary amps but the extra overdischarge protection would be nice.

All I ever wanted was an honest weeks pay for an honest days work.
  Send a message via AIM to Unsullied_Spy Send a message via MSN to Unsullied_Spy  
Old
  (#2)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

01.27.2009, 05:14 PM

I like MGM controllers. However, assuming equal specs, I *think* the MMM beats it hands down, for a few reasons:

1- Price.
2- Ease of programming.
3- Smooth performance.
4- Service.

The MGM controllers are very robust. In the years I've had my 16016 it has never given me problems. The same can be said for the 4 months I've had my MMM. My MGM (no fans) has never gotten hot, even after multiple consecutive runs.

Because I've never had issues with either one, I would buy the MMM simply to save $50.

Old
  (#3)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

01.27.2009, 05:17 PM

I have every confidence in the MMM, but I'm very pleased with my 16018's ability to run on batteries that aren't quite up to the task and not puff them. I run 2 2s 8000 mAH Maxamps lipos in series with my 16018 and 80mm MedUsa and they are actually able to keep up with the motor without puffing. It does get hot, I thermal it frequently but I can manage that.

I would like to give the MMM a shot, but I really don't know between them right now. I may go with the MMM to compare it with my MGM.

Old
  (#4)
Takedown
WARNING: May become violent.

01.27.2009, 05:19 PM

Both controllers wont give you issues. Its just the fact that the MGM is more. If your willing to spend it then do so. But if it were up to me I would go with an MGM just to be different knowing that they are very reliable esc's from what Ive heard.

RIP- Tammy (9/14/08)
Lamborghini's= True Engineering Marvel's
  Send a message via AIM to Takedown  
Old
  (#5)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

01.27.2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takedown View Post
Both controllers wont give you issues. Its just the fact that the MGM is more. If your willing to spend it then do so. But if it were up to me I would go with an MGM just to be different knowing that they are very reliable esc's from what Ive heard.
You've heard right, now that I have worked the quirks out of my MGM it has been very solid. I am extremely pleased with the performance and reliability of my other CC products though, so I'm really unsure right now

Old
  (#6)
Electric Eel

01.27.2009, 05:28 PM

Don't get the MGM! Service is a 4 to 6 month nightmare. I speak from bitter experience. If you live near the Czech Republic, go for it, otherwise stick with Castle.

Old
  (#7)
mxracer
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.27.2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Eel View Post
Don't get the MGM! Service is a 4 to 6 month nightmare. I speak from bitter experience. If you live near the Czech Republic, go for it, otherwise stick with Castle.
AGREED !! its not worth the headache with mgm service .

buy 2 MMM if one fails send it back , it will get replaced fast , and at least get email responses from castle ..

MGM never again for me !!!

losi 8ight-t 1515 tekno 1Y/MM 4s/5S flightpower
losi 8ight-t 1515 tekno 1y/MM 4s/5S flight power

RIP 4x MMM . MM still lives on !

Old
  (#8)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

01.27.2009, 06:29 PM

Also, there have been some people with brake issues with the MGM. Not sure if they have been straightened out. But the MMM is a firmware update away if an issue arises, and CC seems to be pretty good about fixing problems.

One more small point: The 16018 is rated for 160A while the MMM is rated for 120. Not sure if the downsides are worth 40A...
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#9)
macr0w
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.27.2009, 06:33 PM

I can't comment on the MGM but I would have to say the MMM is just about bullet proof at this point.

I've got 2 of the MMMv3's that have been raced every weekend for the last 5 months at least.

They are holding up nicely.

Old
  (#10)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

01.27.2009, 06:42 PM

I have both....the MGM is a great controller....it runs extremely cool w/any motor. I have a slight cogging issue w/the MGM...minor though. A little more confusing to program that the MMM. All in all, I am happy w/it.

The mmm is smoother, easier to program and runs a tad hotter than the mgm. IMO, the mmm esc is the way to go. Better customer service, cheap replacement cost if you blow it up and cheaper sticker price.

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#11)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

01.27.2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
One more small point: The 16018 is rated for 160A while the MMM is rated for 120. Not sure if the downsides are worth 40A...
Patrick mentioned something about how 120 amps is what you can actually expect it to do, but it will do 200 or so. My 16018 is rated for 160 amps as well and I get it hot quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman View Post
I have both....the MGM is a great controller....it runs extremely cool w/any motor. I have a slight cogging issue w/the MGM...minor though. A little more confusing to program that the MMM. All in all, I am happy w/it.

The mmm is smoother, easier to program and runs a tad hotter than the mgm. IMO, the mmm esc is the way to go. Better customer service, cheap replacement cost if you blow it up and cheaper sticker price.
Mine doesn't cog at all, it has such a high starting throttle it's very hard to cog. CC controllers are much better for low speed driving but I'm always WOT

Those are all good points, I think you guys have made my mind up I've got a discount code for 8% off @ RC-M so that should cover the shipping cost. Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: I've ordered it, $158 shipped is a good price IMO. I may try to mount my MGM in the Hyper and put the MMM in the Muggy, it is a lot more demanding on amps and runs hotter.

Last edited by Unsullied_Spy; 01.27.2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old
  (#12)
MonsterMaxx
Owner of Unlimited Engineering

09.19.2015, 02:31 PM

Sorry to resurrect the dead, but if someone else would come out with a 12s controller we wouldn't be forced to do what I've done.
3rd 250-63 MGM now.
1st death, not MGM's fault, was run over by my F350
2nd death, upgraded to 3080, not MGM's fault, motor wire came undone at full tilt. It didn't like that.
just ordered 3rd one because I don't have time for MGM's '4'? week delay at the factory for repairs. They want the motor back too so it's the whole schmeer again.

And they are spendy too.

I consider them large and heavy.

But nothing else offers 12s for a car/truck. So MGM it is, again. Just ordered up another 25063 & 3080. :(

5ive go fast for sure though :D See ya in 2 weeks w/ vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-s170lW4-I

Old
  (#13)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.19.2015, 04:19 PM

Word is that Castle is making/designing a 12S capable ESC now.

Old
  (#14)
aqwut
Brushless Heavy Weight....

09.20.2015, 01:51 AM

Had Plenty of Castle ESCs and Plenty of MGM. You can't go wrong with either, but MGM has been rock solid.

The Power of BRUSHLESS!!!!!
http://www.geocities.com/aqwut
1HP (electric) = 746 Watts.
Everything is brushless!!

Old
  (#15)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

10.11.2015, 08:08 PM

Is there a north American, preferably U.S distributor for MGM?

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise